I absolutely adore Netflix’s new headjob of a show, Dark. I personally think that in two seasons, the show has blown away bigger and more prestigious shows in this same genre. It’s a better, more concise, and a way more mind blowing show than shows like Stranger Things, Westworld and even Lost. So no, I am not someone that will have a balanced, and even keeled vantage about the show. So, deal. Even worse, I’ve got a Dark Family Tree I’m presenting to you today – a family tree that will cover both seasons 1 and season 2 – that took me over 120 hours to create. It’s mind blowing how much work went into this diagram.

I actually didn’t intend to share this with everyone when I first created it. As I was watching season 1 I couldn’t keep it all straight, and so I found myself screen-scraping people’s faces, and dumping them into a photoshop file just to keep them straight. And as I marched deeper into season 1, I then began connecting family members, and their various love interests. I also started jotting little notes about the characters and their motivators and numerous different convoluted details about them underneath. It just organically grew and grew. Which, explains the crazy complexities that permeate this family tree below. But before you go any further – you have to make certain you’ve seen the show, from beginning to end. Every episode. To just keep scrolling is a crime against humanity. No seriously. So don’t do it. Just bounce out to here, watch season 1 and 2, and then come back and gander my family tree then.

A Netflix Dark Diagram Primer

Regardless, when I stood back and looked at it, I realized that this could be a primer for other fans of the show that are wondering what the heck was happening while they were watching. The season 1 family tree, is best for sorting out the details of season 1, and this family tree takes into account both seasons… but may be harder to understand. So if you’d like the season 1 family tree, you can get it right here.

It discusses the Nielsens, the Dopplers, the Tiedemanns, and every other family of the show. And while the season 2 family tree didn’t change massively in structure (no new major families were added, no families removed), there are links and connections now that would have blown my mind back in Season 1 if I had understood where it was going. There are new connections now, new parents, new children, new complicated paradoxes that could cause an unsuspecting person’s head to explode.

So yeah, one final warning, looking closely at this family tree will basically tell you everything you need to know about both season 1 and season 2 of lost. Download it at your peril. And like my last poster, I’m giving you an opportunity to donate to the work it took (120 hours now) to make this poster possible.

Donation Amount

Alright, without further ado… Here is the season 2 Dark Family Tree. In order to get access the full file (all 11,000 pixels wide, and 7,500 pixels high of it) just click the image below:

Netflix Dark Season 2 Family Tree Reveal - or how 120 hours later, I finally got the family tree I needed to understand the Netflix show Dark

(clicking the image not working – try here as well.)

I am currently working on a detailed Dark Season 2 walkthrough that will probably be out in the next couple days. Tons and tons to discuss. But I’ve gotten so many requests for my Dark Season 2 Family Tree, that I figured I should just post that first.

A couple things to note… you need to get acquainted with your zoom button. It’s too big to understand otherwise. Also, I have emphasized a few specific types of relationships as denoted (connoted? No definitely denoted) by the legend at the bottom. Murders are listed by links in blank. Sic Mundus connections are linked in grey. Romantic liaisons are listed in red. And the Sic Mundus opposition links are connected in green. Also, pay attention to the lines linking family members. I’ve tried to be as intentional as I can to convey as much information graphically as opposed to relying solely on the notes.

I expect this to be wrong in some spots at first. This document is too big to be perfect out of the gate. So feel free to suggest changes or updates. And with that – there you have it, Netflix Dark Season 2 Family Tree Reveal.

1. Lisa

This is great. Thank you! I wish more people wouldn’t mind reading subtitles because there is tons of goodness out there and many shows so much better than ours. This is definitely one example. I was hopelessly lost when I started watching season 2 just because it was a long time in between seasons but to see the connections is very helpful. Looking forward to your in depth overview to see what I missed.

2. Daniel

I’m not sure your theory on Hannah being the mother of Claudia is correct. At the time Hannah travels back to 1953 to see Ulrich in jail, we have already seen Claudia, Tronte and Helge. I do agree that it looks as if Hannah and Egon at some point in time have an affair but this happens later on after Claudia is all ready born and teaching math to Helge and hanging out with Tronte near the caves where she loose her dog.

3. Mace

Gaahhh! I forgot all the relationships and watched the first episode of Season 2. Lost.
    Lost! Need that Season 2 Starter Kit!

4. dark

Nice work! I think whats missing is maybe the acknowledgement of the old magnus and eventually franziska (which is revealed at least magnus is a helpling of adam in ’21).

5. Grace

I hate to have to say this, but there are numerous inaccuracies. I’m not trying to be hostile, I just want to make you aware of some mistakes. I do recognize and appreciate the hard work you’ve put into this poster.

Main points:
    1. Hannah cannot be Claudia’s mother. Claudia and Doris are alive and well in 1953-54. So Doris did not die anytime before Claudia was born. And since Claudia looks to be around 10-12 in 1953, a year before Hannah comes and flirts with Egon, Hannah could not have been her mother. While Hannah has a time machine, it only allows for 33-year travel. Claudia was likely born in the early 1940s. Hannah could only get there by the God Particle or by going to 1921 and waiting about 19 years. Either way she would have to strike up a romance with a past Egon. But she has no known motive for doing so.
    3. No evidence Noah abused Agnes or Tronte. Noah and Agnes don’t like each other, but there’s no evidence abuse is the reason. It is also implied but unconfirmed that Agnes abused Tronte, because she has been shown smoking quite often and the marks on Tronte’s arms are cigarette burns.
    4. Unconfirmed and no evidence that Elisabeth took Charlotte to Tannhaus. Noah says Elisabeth and Charlotte were taken from him, not that Elisabeth took Charlotte from him. Elisabeth might not even know that Charlotte Doppler of 2020 is her daughter.

Now I’ll go character by character.
    Ines: While Ines took Michael’s letter, he addressed it to Jonas, not her.
    Hannah: see point 1.
    Michael: he didn’t accidentally go back in time. Jonas from 2020 took him. He also seems to not remember that he came from 2019, or at least isn’t sure anymore, until Jonas from 2020 shows up.
    Sebastian: His last name is spelled Krüger or Krueger, due to the umlaut.
    Yasin: Ulrich is suspected of killing Yasin and Erik, not Yasin and Mads. Erik is the other boy found in 1953, not Mads. Unless you mean the time when Ulrich, as a teenager, is suspected in 1986.
    Noah: see points 2 and 3.
    Agnes: you called her the brother of Noah. Agnes is not male. Agnes is the sister of Noah. Also see point 3.
    Tronte: see points 2 and 3.
    Katharina: the text is messed up, so some sentences appear on top of the previous sentences. I don’t see anything wrong with what I can read.
    Mads: He was found in 2019. Erik was the one found in 1953.
    Mikkel: He did tell Ines and Hannah that he came from the future. Ines didn’t really believe him, and Hannah assumes he was joking. He told her in 1986, so she has likely forgotten it completely. Also, he was not driven to suicide. He had no plans of commuting suicide until Jonas from 2020 and Old Claudia showed up and convinced him that he needed to kill himself for the sake of the cycle.
    Magnus: “took his brother to the cave” might be misinterpreted as taking Mikkel through the caves, when it was Jonas that did that. You’re not wrong, but I recommend rewording it. Also, Mikkel disappears to 1986, not 1983.
    Tannhaus: see point 4. Also, I suggest adding his initials, H.G., but that isn’t an error.
    Bernd: it is possible that he is Helge’s father. (See point 2.)
    Greta: see point 2.
    Helge: see point 2. Also, you incorrectly state that Elisabeth is one of Noah’s children, when Elisabeth is the child of Charlotte and Peter. I assume you meant Charlotte. Also, you say Helge is one of two of Noah’s children, but you say elsewhere that Tronte is also Noah’s son. And you also say “Noah experiments with Noah.”
    Charlotte: she has not learned her mother’s identity. All she knows is that her mother is alive. (When Charlotte and Elisabeth see each other through the portal, Elisabeth signs “mom” to Charlotte. It almost certainly was Elisabeth calling Charlotte her mom, and Charlotte interprets it as Elisabeth calling her Mom.
    Elisabeth: see point 4
    Egon: see point 1.
    Doris: see point 1.
    Bartosz: he didn’t manipulate Jonas in season 2, and not in season 1 either.
    Clausen: He was assigned in season 2, not season 1. Also, “Kohler” should be spelled Köhler or Koehler, due to the umlaut.
    Aleksander: It should be spelled Köhler or Koehler.
    Jürgen: you spelled his name as “Jurgen” with no umlaut. It should be spelled Jürgen or Juergen.

You also misspelled other names a couple of times, besides the names I’ve already mentioned. If you’ve read all the way to here, thank you for reading what I had to say.

Point 1 – “Hannah cannot be Claudia’s mother. Claudia and Doris are alive and well in 1953-54. So Doris did not die anytime before Claudia was born. And since Claudia looks to be around 10-12 in 1953, a year before Hannah comes and flirts with Egon, Hannah could not have been her mother. While Hannah has a time machine, it only allows for 33-year travel. Claudia was likely born in the early 1940s. Hannah could only get there by the God Particle or by going to 1921 and waiting about 19 years. Either way she would have to strike up a romance with a past Egon. But she has no known motive for doing so.”

Ok, you convinced me. I have argued this point out on Reddit a bit, and I didn’t realize (not sure why) she was already born at that point. Sure, it’d be possible, but would require another jump and Hannah being way older at the end of that chain.

Changes I’ve made to the diagram (I’ll re-publish after I’m finished walking through point by point) to account for this. I reconnected Claudia and Doris via a line to Doris. I’ve removed the copy under Egon, “Which hints that Hannah and Egon are the mother of Claudia, not Doris and Egon.” And under Doris, I removed the line, “We learn in S2 that Hannah is most likely the mother of claudia as Doris most likely dies before Egon has Claudia in his house.” And added instead, “She strikes up a romantic relationship with Agnes after renting her and her son Tront a room in the Tiedmann’s home. Egon and Doris have stopped all marital relations when Hannah arrives.”

thanks for your help in clearing this up in my head. Sometimes I can be overly ambitious! On to point two!!

Point 1 – part b – I also removed the line under Hannah, that she might be the mother of Claudia, and instead stated, “It appears she might have abandoned her own time?” Nebulous enough for you? hahah.

Point 2 – “2. Noah’s children: No evidence that Helge is Noah’s son. Greta confides in Noah that Helge and she doesn’t know if Bernd or another man is Helge’s father. She says, “Because maybe [Helge] wasn’t a child created out of love.” It is implied, although technically not confirmed, that she was raped. She is uncertain if Bernd or the other man is Helge’s father. No evidence Noah is the father. Why would she have to tell Noah that Helge might not be her husband’s son if Noah was the father? If Noah either raped or had an affair with Greta, wouldn’t Greta know that Noah was the man who did that to her? There is little evidence Noah is Tronte’s father. It seems very unlikely because Agnes is Noah’s sister. And she claims her husband is dead. The only evidence is her claim that her husband was a pastor, but she also claims her husband is dead. (She also claims she isn’t from Winden, yet she’s shown living in Winden in 1921, so she’s not being entirely honest.)”

I still believe, completely and 100%, that Helge is Noah’s son out of a product of rape (or a 1 time bad decision on Greta’s part, no idea). Greta could easily have not known that Noah was her attacker. But because of Noah’s affinity for the boy, and the difference between the connection to the others he tortured and murdered, I still think it makes sense. Not only does Helge not get murdered by Noah, Noah visits Noah and coaches him, and gets him to talk when no one else could. And then he enlists Helge to his cause. Yes, Helge eventually fights Noah’s cause, but for a time they are quite close despite the torture. But you make good arguments regardless. So kudos to you.

Bigger topic here, I am realizing that this family tree is being looked to by many as a resource to facts, not as an interesting conversation about the possibilities. (Which, let me be frank, conversations about the possibilities is all that I really care about.) I’m not someone that loves being Wikipedia, or a dictionary. And yet, this infographic is being relied upon to be a visual encyclopedia by people watching the show. Lots and lots of people are downloading it daily (if only 10% donated!! GAH! hahaha.) And so, with that excuse out of the way, I will roll back those assumptions that Noah is Helge’s father, despite how much it pains me! hahahah. But I am definitely not going to connect Helge back to Bernd because we know that it most likely isn’t his son. Regardless, here are the changes I have made:

1. Under Greta – “Greta Doppler is the mother of Helge, and is married to Bernd. Greta implies in S1 that Bernd is not the father of Helge, and that she very well may have been raped, which resulted in Helge’s birth.
      2. Under Helga – “Helge may be a push over, but he is definitely central to the world of Dark. Ulrich finds Helge in 1953 and beats him in the head with a rock to stop him in the future. Noah experiments on Helge to create his time machine. Helge kidnaps several boys for Noah. Ultimately, Helge ends up trying to kill himself to stop Noah and his dark plans.”
      3. I removed from Noah the comment ‘even his own child, Helge.’

Point 3 – “No evidence Noah abused Agnes or Tronte. Noah and Agnes don’t like each other, but there’s no evidence abuse is the reason. It is also implied but unconfirmed that Agnes abused Tronte, because she has been shown smoking quite often and the marks on Tronte’s arms are cigarette burns.”

I might have mistakenly connected Tronte’s abuse with Agnes. Not sure what I did there. Good catch.

Point 4 – Not exactly sure to do with your fourth point. You don’t disagree with the fact that Elisabeth and Noah had a child together, and that that child was Charlotte. But we also know that Noah has been looking for his child for a long time, and that she was hidden in plane sight. We also know that Charlotte grew up with Tannhaus. Right? So?!? What’s missing? The only way is for Elisabeth to have taken Charlotte to Tannhaus. Unless someone else stole her away from them both? Is that what you are suggesting? Regardless, I plan to leave that one alone.

You are a hard task master. Hahaha. I’ve worked my way down to this one:

“Elisabeth (the older one): first, see point 4. Also, I don’t understand why you place her in Tannhaus’s family. You seem to consider Elisabeth Tannhaus’s daughter, at least that’s what the placement indicates. There is no blood relation between them. Elisabeth is the biological mother of Charlotte, whom Tannhaus adopted, and Tannhaus’s great-granddaughter (but because Charlotte was adopted, not by blood). There has not been any indication that Elisabeth herself was adopted by Tannhaus. I suggest combining this with the younger Elisabeth’s entry.”

To be clear, I 100% understand where Elisabeth and Charlotte fit in the world of Dark. The problem is how to denote this relationship in a 2D infographic that is limited by time and space. But to be sure that I am getting it right – Sequentially, HG Tannhaus exists. Noah visits Charlotte’s daughter Elisabeth, and they conceive … CHARLOTTE, whom they hand to Tannhaus to raise. To say that Elisabeth isn’t a Tannhaus is fascinating. Charlotte is, by adoption. Which makes Charlotte’s daughter, Elisabeth a Tannhaus as well. Which makes Elisabeth, the mother of Charlotte one as well. Hahahahaha. Elisabeth and Elisabeth could be in one entry, but who do you put her as? Charlotte’s mother? Or Charlotte’s daughter? Nah, I prefer her in two places to explicitly point out the conundrum. I guess I’ll dotted line Elisabeth up to Tannhaus. I can’t think of any other way to do it.

6. Taylor Holmes

Hey there Grace,
    I’m not offended. I think this is great. Heck, surprised anyone read any of it, let alone all of it. Hahah. I’ll have time later today to walk through your points one by one with the photoshop file open. Not an excuse, but even spelling is harder in photoshop, so the edits are great. There are some of your points that I definitely disagree with. But I can talk through those as I go.

Thanks again !!

7. Grace

I suspect Franziska will be the one to take Charlotte to Tannhaus. Why? I don’t really know. A gut feeling? Regardless I don’t have any hard evidence here. It would be in both Franziska and Elisabeth’s interest to take Charlotte to the past, in order that Charlotte later married Peter and gives birth to Franziska and Elisabeth. But that’s all I got. Your guess is as good as mine—wait, no—actually it’s more likely because we know that Elisabeth is in a position where she can take Charlotte away, while we have no clue where Franziska (of any time) is. Sometimes Dark doesn’t follow the “likely” way, but you do have a stronger argument.

8. Sarah Sanders

Maybe Greta wasn’t raped but instead implying she doesn’t love Bernd?