THinc Community Forum?

Out here on THinc. I try my best to find interesting and thought provoking films to talk about. But dang, I’m busy. I still find time to land you guys multiple posts a week – but I wonder if the community would flourish even more than it currently does if I wasn’t a bottleneck. By that I mean, what if you had the opportunity to post interesting movies that you had just seen, in order to find others to discuss the movie with you.

Just thinking out loud currently.Many of you are just now discovering the site for the first time. Which, is really cool. I’m guessing I’ll have over 2 million unique visitors this year. Most though are searching for a very specific movie, they lurk, the may comment once, and then go. But I know that there are like 50 to 100 of you out there that are extremely vested in THinc.  And probably around 30% come back regularly. Which is pretty cool, seeing as though this is just a hobby. Like, a splinter of a hobby of a shadow of a hobby. It’s not even what I spend most of my “fun time” on. (That would be watching movies, reading books, playing video games.) But it’s a ton of fun when I get a chance to hang out and talk about whatever movie it is that is hot right now.

And heck, a community may give me a reason to participate more too! hahah. To see what movies you are all about right now? That would be fascinating. Occasionally you guys give me good ideas. But those moments are rare. What if you could register, and create a thread for Donnie Darko (which I have failed you all on by not posting a detailed review of) or even a different angle of a movie that I have posted about. I wonder if it would be frequented at all? Probably depends on how I promote the threads in the site itself.

Currently investigating what community plugins are even out there. So far I’ve found 4 or 5 really amazing plugins that might add all kinds of features to the site. And once it’s up and running? I dub many of you moderators, and away we go. Hrmmm. Might be a little polyanna-ish in my thinking. But it might be worth a trial run anyway? I’d be interested in hearing your thoughts on the topic. Could be that similar things happen in the community that happen on the site. 70-80% hit and run. 10-20% watch. And 10% engage really deeply. Which, if we have 2 million people swinging through, could be a half decent conversation over the course of a year. No matter the topic.

But what I love about the THinc. Community that is here, is that by and large you are all very very civil. Disagreements are kind and well thought out. Opinions are varied and the hate is so low. (I did get called an asshole yesterday, but that happens so so rarely that it really isn’t even worth noting.) It really is a rare place that that kind of civility happens on the web. I personally think it should be heralded and celebrated. Maybe even expanded.

I don’t know… thoughts?

Tay

1. L

Taylor, one more thing to say before leaving this thread regards your mentioning someone called you an a__hole the other day. Borrowing from a hilarious scene/quote in the movie, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, tell ’em the THinc. community “sends a fart in their general direction.”

Good luck with the phpBB install–hope all goes smoothly.

You MOTHER WAS A HAMSTER and your FATHER SMELT OF ELDERBERRY…

too funny. I’m a huuuuge. Python fan. I can literally quote that movie stem to stern.

“Look, strange women, lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony. Look, if I went round, saying I was king, just because some watery tart lobbed a scimitar at me, they’d put me awayyyy!”

2. Ajay

I didn’t know how else to get this to you, so I’m just gonna leave a comment here.
    I would love an explanation for the movie Eyes Wide Shut! It was a really interesting movie with a brilliant plot, and after I was done watching it, there were so many questions still left unanswered in my mind. I tried to look for explanations online, but couldn’t find one that was completely satisfactory. So if you could take the trouble of maybe posting an explanation, I’d really appreciate it. Thanks!

3. Taylor

Hey gang –
    The forum is now in test mode. There isn’t any content yet, and I haven’t integrated into this site really yet. But if you want to see it, sign up, and kick the tires a little please go here:

I think since almost 100% of what we talk about here is movies, I’ll organize it something like this, (but I am definitely open to suggestions)

1. Mind Jobs
    2. Drama
    3. Sci-Fi
    4. Independent
    5. Unclassifieds
    6. Random chatter

I may even start creating posts and content that I lock behind a password protected area, or added curated director’s cut type stuff that will require donations or moderator work to get into. But I’m still thinking. Definitely want feedback.

Glad the forum is up. But been having a devil of a time gluing it into the actual posts themselves. But I’ll figure it out eventually.

It’s funny how many comments this post has gotten. Shows that we need a place to chatter more. Alright. Let me know what you think of the forum. Nothing really to write in quite yet. But maybe tonight I’ll add a few of those divisions.

Oh IMPORTANT – if you sign up and want to be a moderator that can approve new forums and approve your own comments please let me know. I will take days to moderate all your stuff and it’ll be faster if I have volunteers to help some.

Thanks!

• L

Tay, I have hesitation about free phpBB after reading up on it. It’s like a breast implant so many women do these days not realizing a high percentage needs re-surgery corrections. It appears free software like phpBB gets hacked at least once.

So many pitfalls about dicey plug ins, bloatware, and importance of keeping atop things. Can your amazing busy life allow you to maintain safety of this free software? I have “faith” you will try but because it’s a free software it has the potential for hacker shenanigans.

Respectfully concerned, L

• Taylor

Hey L, great comments. You do realize all those same concerns are viable arguments against WordPress as well right? And that is what we are chatting through currently.

I have spent my entire career inside of IT, and could give doctoral level talks on security around PCI, PII, COPPA, even HIPPA etc. I keep my stuff up to date and make certain that my hardware and my installs are regularly patched. That is the most important thing for security. But bottom line? If you don’t want anyone to know something, you shouldn’t really do that thing online. The internet is inherently insecure. I should tell more stories about my internet hacking days. But id kinda prefer future employees not find out. Heheh.

I’ll dig in and research some more about phpbb security and see. But I appreciate your concern.

ok thanks…
        got absolutely obliterated by spam in the past week as my real life had my attention averted. Definitely will have to figure out how to combat spam before I move forward. Lots of things will need to change I’m guessing. Login/registration seems chunky. And the integration into the blog is nasty. So, I’m now going to have to figure out a better way to integrate. But thanks for checking it out Judy.

4. L

Hey Taylor, how do I delete my name/profile from the new forum. It seems deletions are not allowed? I was the first to join.

5. Senta

Oh, my goodness, you were part of the film industry! That is amazing to have been so close to it. Your husband’s profession must have allowed you a window into the inner workings of one of the most influential industries of the twentieth century, and counting. The stories you must be able to tell. If and when Taylor gets his forum up, you should do a piece on what it was like to be involved with the film industry, especially if your husband won such a prestigious award. I want to hear of it! I have just called your first forum. 🙂

Well, it is good to know I am not the only one who does not care for B/W movies, especially since you were part of the industry. Now I do not feel as shallow. Maman always tries to woo me into watching really old movies with all the dancing and singing, but alas, I am not seduced. 😀 I did like SINGING IN THE RAIN, but it was in color. :p

I am very much looking forward to VALERIAN! Hopefully, it will live up to the hype. I like Luc Besson. I have seen many of his movies; but of course, yes – he is a French director. 🙂 I liked THE FIFTH ELEMENT. It was a French film shot with American actors so I am sure it played in America. He shot THE PROFESSIONAL with Jean Reno, one of my favorite French actors. That movie became notorious because people were assuming a paedophilic relationship between him and Matilda, but the world sees what it wants. It is a very sad movie. Besson is also the creator of LE FEMME NIKITA. I do not know if you have heard of it because it is a French movie, but it is a very sad story of a girl assassin. There are remakes but none top the original. Besson’s movie is very stylish. I have seen THE EXTRAORDINARY ADVENTURES OF ADELE BLANC-SEC, which even maman liked. It is very offbeat, but a fun fantasy romp. It is in French, so you will have to read subtitles. I saw his latest movie, LUCY. It was OK…sort of. 🙂 My da said it could have been so much better, but that can be said for almost any movie. We will be first in line to see VALERIAN. 🙂

And, yes, I am looking forward to this weekend to see THE ARRIVAL. The advert is really cool, so we shall see. 🙂

6. L

The Professional and Le Femme Nikita did well in America, the latter so much so it was redone with different actors.

I haven’t seen a lot of movies on Taylor’s list above so plan to check them out. Watched trailer for The One I Love and it looks like something not done before, definitely peaks interest.

Wish I could dish about the movie industry but I wasn’t “in it” and for the short time my late husband acted in parts for children, I remember he said during “cattle calls” kids would be painfully critiqued as they stood just a few feet away from interviewers. He said, as many have lamented, it was a harsh and shallow atmosphere. Also, he never said a bad thing about anybody.

It’s way off topic from “THinc. Community” but I have enjoyed you and hope Taylor gets the “inmail” feature soon.

Cheers!

7. Taylor Holmes

Well,
    The developer crashed my website about an hour ago for a while until I started screaming bloody murder! hahaha. So yeah, he’s working on it. Better him than me. A lot more there to do than I even realized. So ya, that 4 hour estimate? Bullocks. This weekend he is planning to make a lot of headway, so maybe. We shall see… and hopefully next week I’ll have a beta up and working for you few select folks to jump in and try out before we tell the others on the site… shhhhh. hahaha.

Hopefully that’s the plan anyway. Gah.
    taylor